La Dolce Vita

After the whirlwind of activities and travel that spawned my last post, I decided to slow it down a little this past weekend (meaning I only traveled two days out of four).  The other two were a nice break — I read a little, chatted with friends from home, and made a delicious spaghetti sauce which will conveniently save me some money on buying pre-made cans.  I also hiked up to Piazzale Michelangelo to take some pictures of the city, and managed to see two weddings in the same while doing it!  Apparently, Sept. 17 was the day to get married in Florence.

weddingpiazzalem

Florence may beat out Paris as the city of love; not only did I see these two weddings that day, but I constantly see couples kissing on the streets or on the bridges.  It's in the air!

Florence may beat out Paris as the city of love; not only did I see these two weddings that day, but I constantly see couples kissing on the streets or on the bridges. It's in the air!

Anyway, when Friday arrived I was ready for a change, so I headed out to Volterra, a little Tuscan hilltop town.  ”Why did you go there?” you may ask.  The answer is that I hadn’t really experienced small-town Italian life yet, in addition to the fantastic Etruscan museum and Roman ruins inside the town.  What I didn’t realize until I got there was that the town is also known for its alabaster — there were alabaster shops everywhere, with really impressive sculptures and lamps and such.  To be honest, it couldn’t have been a better trip until it was time to go back — I missed my bus and had to wait an hour and a half for the next one, which would take me to a different city that I didn’t know where I would have to find the train station and get back to Florence.  But, I did it.  So all was well.  : )

This beautiful park was where I stopped and munched on some grapes.  The castle in the background is the Palazzo Priori of Volterra.

This beautiful park was where I stopped and munched on some grapes. The castle in the background is the Palazzo Priori of Volterra.

This was a Roman theater 2000 years ago.  Crazy!

This was a Roman theater 2000 years ago. Crazy!

This is a recreation of an Etruscan tomb set up by the museum.

In any case, after resting (and studying) for a day on Saturday, my itchy, wander-lusting feet brought me to the Cinque Terre.   What can I say about them? Seeing them has definitely been my favorite trip so far — unmatched beauty, cute friendly towns, and the most delicious zucchini creation I’ve ever had (it was a “torta di zucchini” a pie crust filled with a cheesy-potatoey mixture topped by zucchini).  But to be honest, this is a situation where pictures say more than I ever could (don’t forget to click the link to see more!).

The view of the fortress at Monterosso

The view of the fortress at Monterosso

This is the itsy bitsy trail I hiked...

This is the itsy bitsy trail I hiked...

Vernazza, definitely my favorite of the 5 towns (and where I got that zucchini pie thing).

Just for Fun

Don’t forget to check out Pino Daniele, a folk-jazz musician!

One Response to “La Dolce Vita”

1. Tisorn says:

Cinque Terre! very nice. seems like you are enjoying italy!