Potsdam – home of the psuedo conference

After two days of touring our new home in the Kreuzburg section of Berlin, NYU took all 30 of us to Potsdam.  A mere 30-minute train ride from the center of the city, Potsdam contains a small town vibe, an oasis from the large city of Berlin.  After touring its main museum as well as entering a beautiful Baroque style church, our group broke for lunch in the Dutch quarter.  As though Amsterdam was placed in Germany, we traveled the narrow cobble stoned streets contained by neat rows of brick buildings.  The streets, packed due to its annual crafts fare, was filled with locals and tourists alike enjoying the numerous crafts and foods.  Although I avoided the Belgian waffle cart as well as the fried on the spot French Fries, I was enticed by the bratwurst.  For a mere euro, you get a better than New York style Braut on an abnormally small bun.  It was the best euro I have spent so far!  After our delightful snacks, we toured the summer palace.  Secluded by acres of manicured gardens with countless Roman busts, the palace sits atop what appears to be a mountain.  Although of the Rococo style, the palace was meant to be viewed as not ostentatious.  The Palace is hidden at the bottom of each flight of stairs.  I believe there were about a half dozen flights of 10 stairs; however, after days of walking, the stairs felt never ending.  When we reached the top, the climb was well worth it as it not only burned off all that braut but gave the most magnificent view of the garden.  However, my bubble was soon burst by my own roommate no less! As a history buff, she informed me that the infamous conference was a sham! In fact, all of the details had been discussed and planned PRIOR to the conference.  The meeting was merely a formality! It felt like I was being told Hogwarts was fake (the modern day child’s Santa).9018_1180988679845_1082028993_548541_7400713_n