Home sweet home stay: Coastal South Wales

The thought of a home stay was honestly a bit frightening for me.  This is a concept that seems normal and exciting for a bunch of 20 yearolds who still miss their parents and are far away from home, hoping to have that “family” feeling again.  For a woman who is almost 30, the idea of being an adopted “child” in an unfamiliar family (whose age I imagine close to my own) just felt annoying.  As it turns out, however, my fears were misplaced, and my home stay experience was very enjoyable.  I was housed with two other students, Millie and Katie, in the home of an older couple whose kids have long since left home and most of whom are older than I am.  They were a very nice couple, Jean and Alan, who were approaching their seventies.  They were chefs, lucky for us, and had a really nice dinner cooked for us daily, with the aesthetics of the presentation extra cared for.  The town we stayed in is called Swansea, a little coastal college town, which was not the most exciting place to wander during the day, but had quite the night life with an array of clubs and bars that were pretty impressive for the size of the area.  More interesting to me, though, were the extra trips we took.  First to a town north called Tenby, and then to a peninsula still within Swansea called the Gower.  Here are some photos from the adventure…

DSC01327 DSC01344DSC01330 DSC01364

I must say I was very glad to get home Tuesday, as beautful as the trip was.  Five days is a bit too long to stay, and I really wanted to regain my autonomy here in London.  Yesterday was the first day of UCL orientation, finally, and next week classes will start, again, finally.  I am getting very anxious to get my teeth into a new project and get access to the library so I can start the research for my thesis.