Carnival in Germany

Hey Everyone,

It feels great to have started my two month vacation…yep! Actually, for a majority of students in German Universities, this means that they do not have to attend class but still must take exams and complete term papers. I, fortunately, had the opportunity to have a very early deadline for my assignments so in all I have some free time until April :-)

So far, I’ve been able to relax and visit my boyfriend’s family in the south of Germany. All throughout Germany is Carnival or as some regional folk say, “Fasching or Fastnacht”. This usually ends 40 days before Easter. One normally has the chance to see many Parades depending on where one is. I was able to see two different parades, one in Tuttlingen and the other in Heidelberg. Both were quite unique. Both included people in quirky costumes throwing either candy, hay or paper mache at the crowds. Each parade is filled with folk songs and interesting chants. I, of course, had the chance to wear my Dirndle and interact in all the festivities. See pics below!

All in all I had a great time. This week I plan on discovering more intriguing areas in Heidelberg and enjoying my break.

Until Then Bis Sp├Ąter,

Cherie

One Response to “Carnival in Germany”

1. John Hawkins says:

Hi Cherie,

Sounds like a great adventure.

If you are interested in going out dancing while you are in Germany, you could try using my dance directory website. It is designed to help people find dance schools, clubs or events where ever they travel. It is totally free to use, I am just a dedicated Salsa dancer who wanted to make it easy to connect dancers together.

If you find any great places on your travels, then I would be really grateful if you shared them with the world.

Regards
    John