Home Sweet Espana

After living in a foreign country for a while, you become familiar with the new culture that was once so peripheral in your mind. Being here in Spain for just about a month now, I have been able to experience new places, people and the power of cultural immersion. It’s not that I have gained a new and somewhat mystical sense of cultural awareness; it is simply that I have become accustomed to how everyday life operates. Without a doubt, this journey has already given me beneficial insight about myself, because with any new place comes a hint of introspective reflection. Since my last post, I have become increasingly familiar with my host city, Granada. Now, instead of unintentionally taking a new route to the same place every time, I am able to navigate around the city with ease. As it seems, the more I discover in Granada and become acquainted with every corner, the more I truly enjoy the city. Not only have I been able to take advantage of what the city has to offer, but in addition, Granada’s unique location is unrivaled. I look outside my window everyday to the sight of the snow-capped Sierra Nevada’s and after my classes finish for the day, I usually decide to take a short bus ride to visit the beautiful Mediterranean beaches. I don’t think it can get any better than that. Overall, I’ve been having an incredible time here so far and have created another short video (link below) to highlight just a few of the new places that I have been able to enjoy!

Highlights! 

2 Responses to “Home Sweet Espana”

1. Elaine says:

Spain is a country with pelpoe that love cheese. If you can find one that is vacuum packed, or tinned and sealed, it would be fine to bring.Other than that, any local product that can be carried in your suitcase would be fine. A friend came to a wedding in may and brought beef jerky with him! and everyone in the family loved it. Don’t bring sausages We have Oscar Meyer over here, and even Johnsonville Brats (they are fairly new here, I’ve been able to buy them for about six months)The book on your state is also an excellent idea, and a DVD would also be good (but check that it’s acceptable on the european systems). A nice large calendar with pretty scenic views of your state is also a nice giftAny handcrafted item made locally would also be a good choice. There are a lot of things typically american not known outside the country, such as Concord grape jelly or apple butter. I’ve never found those anywhere in Europe. As to candy or chocolates Most are internationally known/made so don’t bother with Snickers, Mars bars, etc. But special things like the halloween caramel corn, and others such as tootsie rolls, Charleston Chews (or a box of Andes Candies) are typically american and as yet not sold outside the country.Hope your daughtr enjoys her visit! Granada is a beautiful city and the Alhambra is magnificent!.

2. as someone who has traveled often I must agree with you on this. Leaving home for a long period of time allows me to reflect not only on where I am from but the places where I have been and also on where I am going.