Nagoya Castle

nagoya castle

Hello all! On Wednesday the 16th, my friends and I went to see 名古屋城 (Nagoya Castle), built from 1610-1619. It is  I got these photos in the mid-afternoon when the sun was setting, and I think they turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.

nagoya castle2

I didn’t get many photos from the inside of the castle. It is actually entirely refurbished because it was destroyed in an air raid during WWII, so it felt more like a museum with bits and pieces of things that survived, like samurai swords and paintings. While they were interesting to see, I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed; I was definitely hoping to see some of the original interiors, and be able to imagine how the residents lived. The castle has served as the headquarters of the Owari domain, a government building, and the home of the imperial family.  It is neat to see the way they’ve restored it though, and even surprising to see that they were able to, considering the damage that must have been done.
This picture of it burning was hanging up inside the castle.

nagoya castle3
Our guides told us that the gold dragons up top are the symbols of Nagoya. The one of the left (the one that’s pictured above) is male, and the one on the right is female. I couldn’t see any difference between them, but I thought they were pretty cool. There was a replica inside the castle as well.

nagoya castle4 nagoya castle5

Just a disclaimer: Some of my photos are taken from kind of funny angles because I’m trying to crop out the more modern looking buildings or structures that were surrounding them, like gift shops or construction. Lots of these shrines or castles — older places we’ve visited — have tons of construction going on, I’m not quite sure why. Constant maintenance, maybe?

It was a very beautiful site though, and I’m told the extensive gardens look really pretty in the spring, so I’m sure I’ll be back! Until next time!